Monday, October 04, 2004

Live Strong

On Sunday morning, July 11th I picked up Candace from the Upper East Side to go to my sister's engagement party in central Jersey. She really wanted to stop by Nike Town on the way out to pick up a bracelet. A bracelet? Knowing how traffic can be cutting through Midtown, I just wanted to get on the road and pick up whatever this bracelet was another time. And on the road we went.

When the engagement party ended, I started making calls to different sneaker stores around the area to see if they had what I'd later found out was the “Lance Armstrong bracelet”. Footlocker in Jersey City carried them - perfect. When Candace came out of the store with this yellow rubbery bracelet with the words "Live Strong" embroidered on it I look at her like "This is what you've been having us run around for?" "It was a dollar," she explained to me "and all of the proceeds go to Lance Armstrong's cancer foundation." Okay, I could buy into it. So I put it on.

As the immediate days ensued, I was often asked what the bracelet was all about. I'd give the best short answer I knew, "Candace bought it for me." Then, I started to notice more people and athletes with this yellow bracelet around their wrists and I started to have more understanding. No more understanding than when I saw Lance on a T.V. show talking about his cause. When asked about the bracelets and raising millions towards his cancer foundation Lance was amazed by the national support. He said the great thing about it is that someone chooses to put the bracelet on, it's not something forced upon them. They choose to show their support and he was amazed by it. Those words rang strongly through me as I thought 'You're right'. I may have initially thought this rubber yellow bracelet was just something Candace bought me because she wanted one but I slowly began to realize what she and others around the nation have known all along. This bracelet is a symbol of my support of a man who has battled through cancer. The bracelet is a symbol of support to all those who currently or who one day may have to fight cancer and Live Strong! they should.

It's crazy to think after all of that, exactly three months after my sister's engagement party, I would be diagnosed with cancer myself. Classical Hodgkins Lymphoma. Yeah, that's a tough sentence to read, equally as tough to type. It happened quickly. I started to notice a lump building on the left side of my neck above my collar bone. There was also a little something on the right side of my neck but not as big. I figured if it's on both sides, it can't be all that bad. Maybe it's just something swollen. I thought it was something that would eventually go away. Two weeks and five Phish shows later, I looked at myself in the mirror and knew this wasn't going anywhere. A week later I was in the doctor's office having it checked out.

And so on August 26th the adventure began. I've since had two CT scans, lots of blood work, and a biopsy done. The CT scan on my chest and neck revealed the two masses I had already felt but also something unseen hidden beneath my chest. It appears to be about 4 cm in width and extends from below my sternum (base of my neck) to the base of my heart. The CT scan on my stomach and pelvis has come back clear of any masses which is good because it’s only on one side of my diaphragm. The next step is treatment which is still in discussion.

Many of you who I speak with regularly and are reading this have to be wondering so many things including why you are just learning about this for the first time. For one, I wanted to fully understand what I was dealing first before passing the information along to everyone. Secondly, it's not the easiest thing in the world to talk about. But, it is what it is. I have cancer.

I now look down at the bracelet I wear around my left wrist with a whole new meaning to Live Strong. I ask for your support and your prayers. I truly have faith that everything will be all right. Please keep me in your hearts. Thanks for listening.

With Love,

Tom

p.s. I'll be fine :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Bones said...

Tom, man, I'm so sorry to hear that. Lani and I will be thinking of you all the time and we **KNOW** your strenght and will and the powerful medicines available will heal you straight away.

much love TC, we're behind ya.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Bones said...

here's more info on Hodgkin's lymphoma

12:48 PM  
Blogger Lani said...

We'll all be sending you as much positive thoughts and energy you need to get through this. Stay strong-
and thanks for sharing Tom-

Lani

1:00 PM  
Blogger Radio Free Daniel said...

You are lucky, Tom. There's never been a greater group of friends than all of us. My love is with you and anything you need is just a phone call away.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Mat said...

**sigh**
To be honest, I've been in shock for the last day. I couldnt fathom, how, why, this keeps happening to such kind and good-hearted people ? it seems so unfair. It IS unfair...
2 years ago, cancer was something I knew little about and an ailment I thought only affected smokers or elderlies, without hope or cure. My grandad lost his battle to cancer 15 years ago; back then to me, it was just part of growing old: inevitable. And yet in 2 years, this disease has intruded onto my group of dearest friends... 3 times... it's quiet an rude awakening.
And yet I remain hopeful. For one because i know these friends are amongst the strongest-willed i have. Because they're surrounded by generous, loving and thoughtful friends, family and companions who will do anything and everything they can to help and support them. Because Amy amazed us and showed us that this disease can be fought and vanquished with the right frame of mind. She remains an inspiration to us all.
Reading this line from the website Bones posted (thanks), i drew even more hope: "Hodgkins Lymphoma has a very high cure rate, especially in younger patients diagnosed with early stage disease. In this group the cure rate may approach 100%."
Yes Tom, you'll be fine: you're a fighter and genuinly one of the kindest man i know. You're strong and you'll live, of that i have no doubt. It seems silly to say from all the way over here, but if there's anything I can do, give me a shout buddy.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear tom,
so sorry to hear about your cancer. i'm glad you have a positive attitude about it and found it early. who knows, maybe if you hadn't been wearing that bracelet you never would have thought anything of the swelling in your neck. thankfully it is treatable with high success rates, i'm so grateful for that.
i know you must have such a new perspective on life now. it's pretty amazing how fast things can change. yet everything is always changing, and we rarely are aware of it. it is good to be aware of it, at all times.
i will be sending you lots of good thoughts from india and do some tong len for you. i'm going into retreat today for 8 days of silent meditation. i'm glad i got to read your story just before starting my retreat. i'll be thinking of you.
love,
heather

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home