Monday, March 21, 2005

Our New Office Robot Masters

I couldn't even sit at my desk today 'cause there were dehumidifiers and fans all around my area. Big industrial machines to dry out the carpet after a weekend flood. There were all over the office with extension cords strung out behind them and the loud whirl of fans blasting out the office din. It was like every time I turned around our new Robot Masters were monitoring my work. I felt harried by the wind and dried out by vanishing moisture.

To escape I retreated to an empty desk and made calls from there. It was sad and boring not have a computer to distract me every now and then with idle information and news tibits. But I realized I didn't actually do any more work, made any more calls than usual. Instead there were other distractions like going over to my dry, windy cubicle to check email, or taking a stroll to the watercooler for a refill. And when I couldn't do either of those things 'cause the mail had just been checked or the bottle was full, I'd just stare blankly at the undecorated cubicle walls and wonder what the heck the 'Net was up to while I was offline.

I guess the temporary industrial machines dotting the office weren't the real Robot Masters. Rather it was the big brainless net wired between the continents that held my thoughts all day when I should have been working. That I am a slave to, for it feeds my brain and makes me smile when the calls are cold and the sales haven't been sold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home