Tuesday, January 25, 2005

I do

I am getting married in 2 weeks. I just got engaged a week ago. I knew this was the plan, that being without health insurance is the reason, but as the day draws closer, I get this feeling that I'm missing something. It's time. I need time. Time to let this engagement sink in. Time to plan and register and wallow in the engagement. Its a big deal. Ask any girl and she'll tell you that being engaged is a big deal. It's fun, it's something we all long to be one day. I've seen sooooo many friends go through it, and I couldn't wait for my turn. I had to wait until I met the perfect guy for me. So now that I've met my match, my soulmate, the love of my life, I want the whole thing. Everything i've seen, heard and read about. And finally, here it is, but because of the fact that I can't get decent health insurance in this country, I have to change my wedding dream. Oh yeah, we sure are having the big party, with the ceremony taboot. But i'll have marked off "married" in the box for a year and a half already. How can I fake this? How can I pretend that I'm not going to be married when clearly I am. It's not like I just graduated high school and i'm running off with my hs sweetheart to get married. We're being realistic and practical and we were going to get married anyway. So why not save some money and get me some good doctors while we're at it? It all makes sense. But its way different to talk about doing something, then to actually do it.

on Feb 4, 2005, I will be saying "I do" to my future husband. Craziness.

5 Comments:

Blogger Radio Free Daniel said...

My roommates got married 6 or 9 months before they had the real wedding. Again, for insurance purposes; he was joining the army (that lasted three weeks, but who knew*)? She never told her parents. I was best (better) man at both ceremonies. At least you don't have to lie to anyone. Still, I feel for you. I know all about the engagement period. 2 Weeks!

*I knew, but noone asked.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Mat said...

I guess inthe US there is no clear distinction between civil and religious weddings as there is in Europe sometimes. 2 of my friends got married ta the town hall (civil wedding) last january, because of the impending birth of their son, to make things easier administratively. Their BIG official (and religious) wedding isnt until june this year. They've been wearing their wedding bands for a year already though, and they're not only perfectly at peae with it, but perfectly happy.
Congrats again to you both !

3:09 AM  
Blogger jamielee said...

Hey Lani,

Good luck w/ all of that....perhaps too much can be placed into the whole engagement thing. Following your gut instinct usually produces the result best suited for you.

{{{GoudaVibes}}}

2:43 AM  
Blogger Lani said...

thanks guys!
I am getting more excited every day. But it is also really bizarre to know that I'll be married next week.

I know that the second I say "I do" to Chris, everything will fall right into place.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Bones said...

It really is pretty crazy. But I'm so excited. Somehow this all feels exactly right for me and us. I love that we'll always have a really special connection to this city. I love that this is simple and direct and utterly and completely about us. I love the way it seals our engagement and eases our life so that we can truly enjoy the excitement of planning an amazing wedding next June. I love that it's different and dizzying and practical all at the same time. I love YOU Lani and I can't wait to say I do!

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home