Saturday, December 18, 2004

Gotta jibboo and you keep on drinking too

“What Next?” I thought, as I entered the 131st (out of 131) grade into USC’s grade reporting system. Instantaneously, my agenda’s impending openness sent chills through my spine. Not to mimic Bill Walton’s commentary style, but What a Long Strange Trip this semester has been. So Many Roads traversed, often including more than a mere Touch of Grey, albeit with all Eyes of the World on me.



While reflecting upon the past semester, astoundingly I realized, “I’m going to New York City for New Years Eve!” And with the goal, of course, being the String Cheese Incident New Years Eve concert at Radio City Music Hall. As adrenaline coursed through my veins, memories of new years past abruptly entered my cranium. Specifically, my first attempt to see a concert in New York City on New Years Eve in 2002. Hard to believe almost two years have passed since Phish’s comeback performance at Madison Square Garden. The trip to New York City was nothing less than spectacular, including the unnecessary in-flight discussion regarding “banked landings” at La Guardia International Airport (Incidentally, I was the only one able to handle the landing without a ‘double Jack on the rocks’).



Unfortunately, the Midnight Hour was spent at the Garden Tavern with the other unfortunate, ticket-less phans. In fact, the tumultuous months leading up to this event are incomparable to the present. Absent is the Army of One approach toward ticket acquisition, and the subsequent recursive repercussions. No longer must I ask my friends and family to fill out a Phish Tickets by Mail request, hoping that one would actually be filled. In fact, when purchasing String Cheese tickets last fall, my biggest concern was obtaining floor seats! Oh, the times, they’re a changing.



While acquiring New Year’s tickets was first and foremost on my mind two years ago, nothing could dispel the unequivocal hype surrounding Phish’s first show in two years. The internet was teeming with Phish discussion and analysis, as anxious phans longed to Bounce Around the Room once again. While mimicking the image in whose radiance I bask, psychedelic dreams contemplating the central theme to this everlasting spoof filled my nights. Ahh, the good ol’ days.



Fast-forward two years into the anomalous post-Phish era. Despite the absence of ticket mongering and outlandish pre-game hype, this trip lacks a common trait found within any past Phish trip: the euphoric camaraderie of friends. However, several months ago, I made the conscious decision to imbibe this experience distinctly, by implementing a positive, albeit realistic, framework for enjoying future shows, sans Phish.



I can almost taste the Group Hoot.

1 Comments:

Blogger Radio Free Daniel said...

Ha! Group Hoot!

Sans Phish (shiver).

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home